Thanksgiving Traditions

Thanksgiving+Traditions

Samantha Lanuza, Editor in Chief

Thanksgiving Day is around the corner; the day to reunite with distant relatives, eat like there’s no tomorrow, and celebrate the blessings we’ve received over the past year.

Thanksgiving began as a celebration by the Pilgrims, alongside Native Americans, after their first harvest in the New World in the fall of 1621. Since then, American families adopted a modern version of the original 3-day feast. Every family celebrates Thanksgiving in a way that makes the nationwide holiday unique.

“We usually do karaoke,” said sophomore, Jazmin Velazquez. “Everybody looks forward to it but we try to do something new every year.” Jazmin reveals her favorite Thanksgiving memory as the time her family was “all together.” 

On the other hand, sophomore Tayla Hernandez, has an average of 45 people at her family’s Thanksgiving celebration every year. As a Lao-Mexican, Hernandez’s big family always finds a way to keep the party going.

When it comes to Thanksgiving favorites, Tayla was quick to answer with every foodie’s first choice: “I always love the food!”  

“They bring Asian food and they bring some Mexican food too so I get Mexican, Asian, and American food all in one night,” Hernandez cheerfully boasts.

Senior, Carissa Mabry also eats non traditional Thanksgiving food.

“I do not like turkey or ham, [and] I barely like collard greens!” Mabry jokes. “I always eat seafood.”

Carissa’s favorite Thanksgiving memory is when her uncle came back from overseas.

“He’s in the army,” Mabry shares. “I tried not to cry but I was little so I cried real hard. I really don’t like Thanksgiving, but that day I did,” Carissa said.

Family traditions play a big role on Thanksgiving, or any holiday for that matter! As long as you’re beside family and friends, it’s a Thanksgiving well spent.